Wednesday, July 22, 2009

Pecha Kucha

Fact: I am very allergic to antihistamines.
Fact: I am technologically challenged.
Fact: I find that a shot of tequila mixed with anything (for example, a half bottle of Robitessen and a pint of Blue Moon) is a guaranteed cocktail for greatness.

Last Thursday I performed at Kansas City’s Pecha Kucha night at Crosstown Station.

http://daily.pecha-kucha.org/2009/07/22/pkn-kansas-city-vol-6/


“Pecha Ku-WHAT?” well first it is pronounced like this:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/mcmikedermott/2406106770

And essentially it is an opportunity for creative people to get together and talk about creative things in a way that is not boring. It is essentially competitive PowerPoint. 20 slides, 20 seconds per side – no exceptions - on any subject you want.

And I was messed up!! And not the fun messed up, like some of my friends that evening, but the sick as a dog, competently freaked out, tried to numb it with the aforementioned cocktail, kind of messed up.

I am an actor so you would think this would be no problem but standing before hundreds of people at Crosstown Station with nothing to talk about but me – I just kind of wanted to vomit.

And then my video went out. As I write about it now, more than anything I wish for two things. I wish I was the type of person that was so laid back and unscrutinizing that I wouldn’t even mention it and just remember the evening for what it was. And secondly, I wish I had been the type of girl who hadn’t freaked out about it in the first place and would have just enjoyed the opportunity to role with the punches.

Because the thing is, I DID role with the punches whether or not I enjoyed the opportunity AND I also made big deal of it because, well, that’s just what I do. I made smart-ass comments and dirty jokes and used the technical glitch as an excuse to serenade a bar full of folks a wee bit drunker than me with the opening of “Somewhere That’s Green,” from Little Shop of Horrors – almost completely in tune.

Through the cherry Robitessen Tequila haze, I could hear laughter and as Larry, my cast-mate said, it was good but not great.

Good in those conditions I can live with and now that a few days have passed and the anxiety is over, I can honestly say I can’t wait to see the tape.


No comments: