Monday, October 19, 2009

Daddy's little girl?

So my dad and I were riding along on our way to shoot off fire arms when he says to me, "So I was reading your blog..."

Immediately my mind started scanning. Oh dear god what did I write? And what uncomfortable conversation is it about to provoke?

"So I was reading your blog and was about to print it out for your grandmother...Then I read the whole thing and thought that might not go over so well."

Oops, I probably should have given the old man the heads up...

See, for as long as I can remember there has been one topic of conversation that has been off limits for my father and me.

I am pretty sure that that is relatively normal in the standard father-daughter relationship although I wonder how many dads would conveniently leave for a bathroom break during every PG-13 scene in a movie watched during their child's adolescence or keep a newspaper at arm's reach to block their view of the TV if things really got steamy.

(Sorry Dad)

My dad and I talk about pretty much everything but still, I like to think that I am still his little girl and sometimes when I write this blog I have to think, "How terrified will my father be if he reads this?"

The man wasn't born yesterday but I've got to figure that there are somethings he would just rather not think about.

One day we were talking on the phone and he told me to give him the heads up if there was something he shouldn't read. But then I would have to have that conversation. And there is nothing like an uncomfortable conversation to send both of us running.

So for now I am just going to live in a state of denial and hope that my father does the same.

1 comment:

Robert Zamees said...

Try writing a book about a man's journey to find true love--which is, in reality, a book about what I've learned in life while on my search--that discovers the sexual spiral of demise that has been a cycle in the protagonist's relationships... then give it to your mom for her review. Talk about testing the nerves. :-) Keep writing!

Cheers,
Bobby