Monday, November 30, 2009

My Fake Fa-La-La

"We're just like George and Issy," I said to V from beneath my Christmas tree.

"You mean you're a hot, tall blonde and I'm, umm, gay?"

Not exactly what I had intended but the evenings activities had definitely been enough to reconfirm not-so-gay-gay-best-friend status.

V and I reigned in the holiday season tonight by making dinner, decorating my Christmas tree while miming "Love Actually" as it played in the background, and of course drinking wine.

We cuddled. We do that - it is allowed at this state in our relationship, and we chatted about our current S.A.D. status. Not just my Seasonal Affective Disorder but our dueling cases of Seasonal Attention Deprivation.

It seems like just when a person couldn't be happier in their single status the holidays come around to smack you on the ass and say, "Hurry up and find somebody to fa-la-la-la-la!"

Still dating for the sake of dating or to make it through the holiday doldrums just doesn't seem right or fair to those involved.

V has been dating, although my over protective nature makes me think these girls aren't quite good enough for him.

A few weeks ago he went out with a girl who invited him out with some of her co-workers. He met them at a restaurant on the Plaza and when he got there he saw that her large group had already congregated in the back in a corner booth. Rather than get out to greet him, his date stayed where she was on the other side of the oblong table and left him to chat with a few of her colleagues, who he did not know.

"She should have got out," I railed. "If she invited you on a date she should have at least sat by you!"

"It wasn't a big deal," V assured me. He is the perpetual nice guy – one of the reasons he was the friend I invited over to help decorate my Christmas tree. I don't think any of my other friends would have tolerated my anal-retentiveness. V just grinned when I explained the dangerousness of the situation and said, "And how is this different than any other day with you?"

Still V deserves a girl who will get up and sit by him and instead he hangs out with bitchy girls like me.

This holiday season more than anything I want my friends to be happy. I want them to find someone to hold hands with in the snow and fa-la-la, if that is what they really want.

So any ladies out there who are nicer than me, drop me a line and I will hook you up with a real nice guy.

No comments: