Monday, August 24, 2009

Boredom beware


I once dated a guy whose mother handed me a copy of Good Housekeeping magazine and said, “You could use this.”

I once dated a guy who dumped me in the shower.

I once dated a guy who asked me to move across the country for him on our second date.

I once dated a guy who rented a sailboat for me, only to discover that I get insanely seasick and then wreck the boat requiring that we be rescued by the coast guard.

I have dated guys that said “I’ll get you next time,” “You love me more than I love you,” and guys who have called me “Dumbo.”

I have been cheated on, lied to, stole from and froze out.

I have had guys profess their undying love for me only to never speak to me again once I said lets give it a shot.

For all of this craziness, I have come to a very zen place in my feelings about the opposite sex. It helps that as many times as I have experienced shitty man situations, I have experienced great ones. I have watched my father and step-father and grand-father treat the women in their lives like queens and show the type of respect and integrity that I know the greater population of men to have. I have watched my friends and cousins become amazing husbands and fathers and remind me that good guys are still out there.

Even as of a year ago, I think I was still harboring major man hatred but these days that just seems futile. If it wasn’t for all of these crazy experiences, what would I have to write about?

So last week, when I met up with a designer that I have hired to do a project for work, I was a little freaked out when he said he followed my blog. Flattered but freaked out. And then he said, “You have a lot of man issues don’t you?”

And with the deepest exhalation of relief I have had since I don’t know when, I said, “No. Actually at the moment, I have no man issues. By choice. And that is just fine.”

I am sure that this is about the time that the man issues will start to spring up – just as I settle into my over-contentment and I welcome the challenge. Boredom beware. Boys keep things interesting.

No comments: