Sunday, August 9, 2009

Sex and Suburbia

“So, he said he wants to make it a weekly thing. Movie, pizza and partner sex. I mean partner stretching, partner stretching!”

“I took the red eye out to the conference, got no sleep, and then stayed up the next night until five in the morning talking with an amazing man from New York – who happens to be married.”

“He said ‘You want to DATE me!’ and I just got out of the car and went home. Maybe I should have at least got some before I turned him down.”

“It turned out to be the most boring date ever. ‘So… (gaping pause)…what do you do for fun? So… (gaping pause)… what kind of music do you listen to?’ I left and ended up spending the evening with someone I would much rather be who but who isn’t actually available.”

It is another sticky afternoon and I have just collapsed into a booth in the back of DeBronx Pizza somewhere in –GASP! – Kansas with three of my new favorite friends.

“This is like Sex and Suburbia,” my girlfriend muttered. “Four women heading out for a night on the town at the glamorous local Applebee’s.” And while I would never let it get that desperate, I suppose the truth isn’t too far off.

As we waited for our pizza to arrive and noshed on only slightly more nutritious salads it became necessary to reflect on our resemblance to the fab four.

This is nothing special. It is practically a requirement that when groups of women get together they assign each other to those Manolo wearing archetypes. I still haven’t figured out how I got called out as Samantha – so not even right! But it as I sat there listening my three blond, fabulous, smart, beautiful girlfriends bitch about boys and jobs and sore muscles and scheduling conflicts I realized that we really did have a lot in common with that group of women. Maybe not the fabulous lifestyles or the closet sent down from the gods but that special unique bond that only comes from becoming close with a group of women.

I feel very lucky to have all of the friends that I do. I would say that I have more than my fair share and often I feel neglectful of these relationships because there is simply not enough hours in the day to dedicate to them all. Even if I did nothing but spend time with friends, I don’t think I would be able focus on them all the way I want to.

This day was special. Different in the group dynamic. It is been a while since I have been a part of a straight up posse and while this is a new formation, it is a great group to be in. I am pretty sure that that is why shows like Sex and the City have always had such a following. We all long to be a part of something, to be needed, and while the romance and adventure is exciting, there is something even more compelling about finding soul mates in the group of women with whom you share your trials, your tears and all your dangerous temptations. We have a great time. Probably better that we should. And I can’t wait for the next recap…hopefully someplace a little less suburban and a little closer to my state line.

No comments: