Wednesday, August 26, 2009

Well, Crap


I am cheap. This is a widely known fact. Not in the never pick up a tab, only buy the discount toilet paper, consistently ‘forget’ a wallet type of cheap, so masterfully executed by most of my recent boyfriends.

I am cheap in the frugal, “I will be damned if I am not going to get every nickels worth of my money”, kind of way. I get every last drop out of my toothpaste container, if spend money on vacation I am going to go all out every minute of the trip and if I spend $130 bucks on an unlimited monthly yoga membership, you had better believe I am going to be there everyday.

Most of the time this cheapness has clear advantages. It is a great motivator. Recently my therapist co-pay went up and so has my standards for men. No douche-bag is worth $40 a session.

A few days ago I over-drafted my checking account. This is the first time I have ever done that and I did it in a big way. I decided to be really productive and pay all of my bill in one day. Car Insurance, student loan, cell phone, geek squad, electricity. And then I went shopping.

And then I realized that my pay check had been sitting in the bottom of my purse for almost 2 weeks.

Yep. That sucked. $250 worth of overdraft fees, $250 worth of sucky.

I worked my charms and got the bank to knock off the majority of the charges but then I had to come to grips with the fact that my crazy summer had now effected more than the size of my rear. It seriously impacted my bank account.

Each of those $5 coffees ended up costing me $50 bucks. And then I started counting up all the happy hours and early morning networking breakfasts and late night desserts with girlfriends. Damn. So it is time for a break from my social life. I have been waxing and waning about my need for a little me time. Well now I have my motivation. I guess everything happens for a reason.

No comments: